Monday, July 20, 2009

A Surprise Re-encounter

I was on my way to church the other day. As I waited to cross the street, a woman standing next to me asked, "Excuse me, do you play the violin?"

I responded affirmatively, thinking that she probably remembered me from visiting the church, where I play every week.

"You played for my mother when she was in XXX Hospital! She was humming a song that none of us recognized, and you just picked up and played what she sang," she said excitedly. "Oh man, every time I tell someone that, they all said 'No way! She did that?' And I said 'Pshh, yeah!'"

I almost jumped out of delight. I remember the lady well and actually wrote about her in an earlier post. I could still see her little body, leaning against the pillow as she sang, her big eyes shining brilliantly.

Before we parted, the daughter informed me that her mother is doing well, resting at home. She promised to come hear me play at church with her mother. How I look forward to seeing them again--this time not in a hospital room.

No comments: